Razor logo for web.eps
Tan Central front page banner ad 112708_Layout 1.pdf
Barr-Reeve loses to ND in controversial ending
By Louie Kavanaugh Jr. 
 The head lines could have read, “Barr-Reeve wins, but North Daviess moves on!”  Barr-Reeve’s Trey Hughes hit a last second 3-pointer which many in the gym thought was the winning basket giving the Vikings a 52-50 win until it was waved off.  
  What could have been an outstanding game for the North Daviess Cougars, now has ended in controversy. After reviewing a tape of the game, the ball was shown in the air before the lights on the backboard lit up. This has to be one of the most controversial endings to a boys’ basketball sectional game in many years.  
    Barr-Reeve had trailed throughout the game, but with 19 seconds left on the clock, Trey Hughes buried a 3-pointer to tie the game at 49.  The Cougars quickly in-bounded the ball, and as Logan Wagler was driving for the basket, he was fouled by Christian Duncheon with 4.1 seconds left on the clock.  North Daviess was in the double bonus, and Wagler missed the first free throw but connected on the second free throw to give North Daviess a one point lead at 50-49.  Barr-Reeve in-bounded the ball to Ethan Knepp who drove down the center of the court.   Seeing he was drawing a crowd, he passed the ball to Trey Hughes who sank a 3-pointer in what could have been the winning basket for Barr-Reeve.  
  North Daviess had lost a controversial game back in January to Loogootee on a shot that was counted as a 3-pointer instead of a 2-point basket.  During that time, Loogootee got the benefit of a missed call.  
  Barr-Reeve trailed the entire game as North Daviess led by 10 at the end of the first quarter, 16-6. The Cougars forced the Vikings into five turnovers in the first period. The Vikings were held to just two 3-pointers by Ethan Knepp in the quarter.  The Cougars stretched the lead to 13 early in the second period, but the Vikings cut the lead to 23-19 before Nelson Graber hit a basket just before halftime and North Daviess went to the locker room in the lead by six, 25-19.  The Cougars led by 6 points through most of the third period before the Vikings cut it to 32-28 at the end of three quarters.  The Cougars’ biggest lead of the night came early in the second period at 21-8.
  Barr-Reeve turned the ball over seven times in the first half with five coming in the first quarter, which helped North Daviess build a big lead early in the game.  The Vikings committed just three errors in the last half but had a tough time getting back in the game.
   The Vikings had struggled with North Daviess’ defense and were playing from behind all night.   They caught fire with about two minutes to go and appeared to have pulled out a great comeback on a last second shot from Trey Hughes.  This is the second time this season the Cougars were able to come away with a win over the Vikings after last year’s sectional semi-finals where the Vikings upset the Cougars when they were ranked number one in the state.
  Senior Ethan Knepp led the Vikings with 23 points on seven 3-pointers, with five 3-pointers the first half.  Trey Hughes followed with 10 points on three 3-pointers and one free throw, all coming in the fourth period.  Christian Duncheon followed with 9 points before fouling out.  Kendall Murphy had one 3-pointer on the night but left the game with an injury with 2:37 left to play in the fourth period.  
  The Cougars placed three players in double figures with Thomas Nugent with 16, and Kendall Wittmer and Jacob with 11 each.  
   The Vikings shot 46 percent with 11-20 from behind the arch.   North Daviess shot 48 percent, and they were 6-10 from 3-point range.  Barr-Reeve shot 10 more shots than North Daviess from the field, 37-27.  North Daviess was 18-26 from the free throw line to Barr Reeve’s 4-11.  Barr-Reeve out rebounded the Cougars 25-18 but committed 10 turnovers to the Cougars 7.  
   Barr-Reeve ended their season at 18-4 while North Daviess improves to 18-5 and moves to the championship game of the sectional on Monday night against Vincennes Rivet.  
   The Vikings lose eight seniors, the most a Viking team has lost in many years. Those seniors are Ethan Knepp, Logan Knepp, Kendall Murphy, Hogan Helms, Luke Harmon, Dustin Ash, Beau Gregory and Trey Showalter.  These eight seniors have been a part of some fine basketball at Barr-Reeve and have been a part of the two sectionals, one regional, and a semi state championship.  We tip our hats to the seniors and the Barr-Reeve team, all of whom have given the fans some great excitement over their high school career.  In spite of the loss of the eight seniors, the Vikings return starters Trey Hughes and Christian Duncheon as well as Willie Helms and Brandon Graber off the bench and a junior varsity team that finished 18-0. The season did not last as long as fans would have liked, but they gave it their best and that is all that can be asked.  .
Ethan Knepp guarded in game 031209.JPG
-Photo by Joe Cummings

Pictured above is Barr-Reeve’s Ethan Knepp as he is closely guarded in the first half of the Barr-Reeve/North Daviess Sectional game.  Guarding Knepp is Jacob Miller of North Daviess.  Knepp closed out an outstanding high school career at Barr-Reeve with 23 point on the night.